Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Yummy sweet potato dish




I got this recipe (and tweaked it) from R*ip Esselstyne's book The Engine 2 Diet. I am not a vegetarian but like the focus on green things so I bought this book to learn more about cooking veggies, etc. I forgot the name of it in the book, but here is how I make it:

1 can of pinto beans (use any beans you like)
1 cup corn (I use raw sweet corn cut off the cob but you can use frozen or canned)
1 avocado (I only use 1/2)
2 baked sweet potatoes (chopped up roughly)
I handful of chopped fresh cilantro
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
Juice of one lime
Salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar to taste

The original recipe called for black beans and for one mango but I don't like mango so left it out.
I like this dish at room temp--I baked the sweet potatoes and then let them cool down a little bit so when I chop them up they stay firm and not mushy.
You could also add brown rice to this if you wanted a complete protein.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    I like the sound of this recipe but I'm not much of a cook. I need to know exactly how to make this. What do I do with all of those ingredients? What kind of dish do I bake the potato's in and for how long?

    After the potatoes are finished cooking do I just dump the other ingredients on top?

    HELP!!! : )

    ReplyDelete