Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 21: Bike commuting and culture



I saw this update over at Reno Rambler on an NPR segment on biking in NYC. I did not agree completely with Bike Snob NYC who was answering the questions on NPR as I am more with the "spandex is a privilege not a right" crowd, but one thing he wrote was funny and interesting:

BIKE SNOB NYC: .....the entire notion that we have to build a transportation infrastructure around allowing people to show up to work clean in suits, why? Who cares?

We do have some funny cultural rules about appearance. And it gets me to no end when I see people at work who do *not* look put together at all (quite slovenly) and I KNOW have driven into work, who look at me with my helmet in my hand like I am an alien. "Did you BIKE in"? Then they really look at me......up and down. I just stand there and let em' look.

Miles:
Saturday: 6.50
Sunday: 0 (stayed home all day)

Stuff I saw: In the tunnel under Providence I have noticed that they painted some white paint on the path going through
the tunnel. I thought it was weird. Then tonight, as I rode through, all the lights were blazing and I could see how
the white paint reflected the light making it that much brighter. Somebody had their thinking cap on and I thank
them.

Stuff I heard: Girl 1: "He saw me, I saw him, and that was it!"
Girl 2: So'd ya do anything?
Girl 1: Nah, we just looked at each other all night. ((laughter))

3 comments:

  1. Just hope all the white paint doesn't make it super slick. You have to be pretty careful riding on white stripes on the road when it's wet or slick out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish our society valued fitness as much as it does high heels and hair styles that require 45 minutes of prep time!

    ReplyDelete