Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 8: Night riding



Today I rode in to MU and heard the pileated woodpecker but could not see him. I ended up working until 8:30 PM but because of my awesome MiNewt , I am not afraid of riding in the dark. Night riding is fun--especially when it is a full moon. My only concern has been that I cannot seem to find a decent class II or III reflective mesh vest. I found this one, but I have to buy about a dozen! It is the same everywhere I have looked. They are out there but you have to buy enough for an army. I might just get some reflective tape and make my own. :-)

Miles: 7 miles
Cool stuff I saw: (1) An older gentlemen on a sort of reclining bike with long handles--riding down the trail. He was wearing a cool hat and yelled "hallo!' to me when we passed. (2) They have installed lights in the tunnel under Providence Rd which is cool. What is not cool is that the 'trigger' for it is located near the trail side of the tunnel, so if you are entering from Elm, it is pitch black until you exit the tunnel, thereby triggering the lights so they can shine on.....no one. Doh!

4 comments:

  1. Try alert shirts (alertshirts.com). I have ordered three times from them and they are wonderful. I see they have several vests, I bet one of these will work. I ride in their yellow and orange wicking t-shirts and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave you the wrong link...it's alertshirt.com (not shirts).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred Schmidt has one that he has never worn. We ordered 5 at the same time because they were cheaper and he wanted one. Last time I was at his house I noticed that it was still in the package.

    I'll email you his email address. I dont want to type it out here because spammers can pick that up somehow. They are so sneaky.

    ReplyDelete