Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 4: Walking and Cycling



Today I walked about a mile total to my writing group meeting and then to Subway and the grocery store. It is weird how many people from my complex all drive to the grocery store (literally less than .25 of a mile!) and back. Many get out of their cars with one or two small bags--- hardly enough to merit cranking up the car to go pick up. It baffles me a bit because they probably also drive to the gym as well (just like I used to do).

Walking or biking over is far superior in my experience. Just the physical experience of using your own steam to get somewhere and enjoying being outside. The shopping center I shop in and live near is right near a really nice wooded area and I see all kinds of cool wildlife. It is refreshing and relaxing to walk/bike and listen to all the wildlife back in there.

On another note, I am getting ready to switch to clipless pedals. I hope I don't end up like the guy in the Yehuda comic strip above! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Have the shop loosen them up as far as they will go. Are you getting SPD's or another brand? I'll probably be offline all weekend so I may not be able to help much but my suggestion:

    Buy SPD's because they seem to be the easiest to master and loosen them all the way up so its really easy to get in and out initially.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks RJ! I am getting SPD (you advised it before and I decided to go that route). I'll have them loosened..I'd like to avoid falling over at first. Oh yeah, one of the people I told about CCC is taking the Bike Skills 101 course this week--she wants to start bike commuting to work! Isn't that cool?! I told her about Bike Buddies as she works off Business Loop and it can get hairy if you are just learning what to do. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete