Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 29: The last day of my 'No Car' Challenge




Last week I was notified that I might have to ride out to a town about an hour from Columbia in order to help gather data on a research project. At the last minute we did not have to go so I didn't interrupt my 'challenge'. However today we did have to go so my "official" No Car Challenge was over. Since I started a few days before September I met the 30 days, just not all in September. (It was strange to be in a car on the freeway. I had forgotten how fast everyone moves and how big and heavy the trucks are! How can anyone believe that highway travel is safer than riding a bike? Talk about a mass delusion.)

For me, the bigger issue is that I want to keep on going! I want to see if I can carve out a car-free lifestyle for myself. Since I don't have to drive to this research location myself, I can bike to the meet up location and ride with the lead investigator. For my own personal no car challenge, I want to bike through winter and see what the next six months hold---if I can make it everywhere I need to go by biking or walking (possibly bus as well).

The adventure is really only just beginning!

2 comments:

  1. You can make it through the winter, I proved to myself last year that I could and I HATE cold weather. I noticed during deer season I didn't get as cold in the woods, I suppose I became hardened! You can do it with the right gear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as long as I am warm, I will be fine. I already have a good hat but need much warmer gloves, socks, and tights, etc for under my clothes.

    ReplyDelete