Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 3: Cycle Recycle



Today was an great cycling day and then tonight I went to the Cycle Recycle meeting at GetAbout. Cycle Recycle is a community event that takes place twice a year in Columbia. Throughout the year, GetAbout receives used bikes that need repair, repairs them, and offers them back to the community at the Cycle Recycle event. This year it will take place on October 18, 2009. Most every Thursday evening there is a group of dedicated, mechanically talented, and politically savvy people who meet to repair donated bicycles for the Cycle Recycle program. (However, anyone interested is encouraged to attend and they clearly allow the less mechanically savvy to participate :-) It is also a great way to learn about bike repair and mechanics. I have had two very awesome teachers thus far and enjoyed myself a ton! I also like being a part of a program that gives back to the Columbia community.

Total bike miles today: 7 miles
Cool stuff I saw: A small turtle sitting on the side of the trail, his head raised high basking in the sun. If I had been in a car, I never would have seen the little fella or enjoyed a wonderful day of bike commuting. Life is good. :-D

4 comments:

  1. I love seeing all things I would otherwise miss. My favorite right now is a cute little blond haired boy I see in the mornings on Williams. Even if I did notice him while driving I wouldn't be able to hear him singing or chatting with his folks. Glad you had fun at Cycle Recycle, they probably need someone keeping them in line! I was supposed to teach down there tonight but my one and only student rescheduled to next weeks class. Maybe we'll meet soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I have a lot of fun on Thursday nights but trying to keep those guys in line would be a full time job! ha ha ha. I hope to meet you sometime too. I got to meet Gina last night and really enjoyed talking to her. A lot of neat people at GetAbout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool blog;-). funny Fantasy bike good one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alvin! I love that James Bond cycle...I like imagining that is what we could do on one of those cycle recycle bikes! :-) thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete