Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 15: Is healthy behavior 'contagious'?


Birds of a Feather by Nomoco

The New York Times recently ran a piece posing the question, Is Happiness Catching? The article interviews Eileen Belloli, one of the participants in the most famous longitudinal heart study ever conducted: The National Heart Institute's Framingham study which has followed 15,000 residents and their descendants, bringing them into a doctor’s office every four years, on average, for a comprehensive physical. The Framingham study is the one that helped doctors and medical researchers understand the relation between cholesterol level and risk of cardiac arrest (total cholesterol level over 150 mg/dl increases likelihood of cardiac infarction). One of the topics that researchers in the study have been looking at, is how social relations affect our habits (both good and bad). Clive Thompson (2009) writes,"by analyzing the Framingham data, Christakis and Fowler say, they have for the first time found some solid basis for a potentially powerful theory in epidemiology: that good behaviors — like quitting smoking or staying slender or being happy — pass from friend to friend almost as if they were contagious viruses. The Framingham participants, the data suggested, influenced one another’s health just by socializing. And the same was true of bad behaviors — clusters of friends appeared to “infect” each other with obesity, unhappiness and smoking. Staying healthy isn’t just a matter of your genes and your diet, it seems. Good health is also a product, in part, of your sheer proximity to other healthy people."

When I was growing up, I was alway urged by my Dad to be careful who I hung out with because I would become like them over time. And he was right. The problem today is that we have a culture where this principle is still at work, but in the opposite direction. By that I mean that as a culture we have "networked" a car-centered, fast-food lifestyle which shapes people's choices and actually limits their physical activity and food choices to a degree. Anyone who tries to step outside that network is met with resistance because it is outside of the norm. Now, there are a network of negative behaviors around us, and they actively define how we live. If you don't believe me, just do two things: (1) Cycle or walk to work one day and don't hide the fact, and (2) when everyone else is eating/drinking [insert dessert dish or alcohol here], refuse to eat any. You will find out very quickly how the pack mentality contributes to network behavior.

After reading this article though, I am more convinced than ever that it is important that I contribute to a positive network by living a healthy life. Cyclo commuting is just one activity that demonstrates, in a tangible way, how easy it is to create positive networks rather than negative ones. The more others see how manageable and enjoyable active transportation is, the more they can picture themselves doing it too. In this vein, I have started urging my students to bring healthy foods to class each week rather than sugar and fat-laden, brain damage inducing, snacks. I have another student who goes outside and walks around vigorously during our lunch break and this has encouraged others to step outside and exercise during the break rather than sitting inside and eating junk. In this way, it is like when birds fly, or cycling in a pack; we slide into the slipstream of others who are moving in a direction that we want to go and this helps us get to our goal as well as become part of that network. But we have to consciously choose where we want to go and locate others in the right 'networks' so that we can 'catch' those positive behaviors and harness them for our own lives.

Miles: 8.25
Stuff I saw: Man on a seated bicycle who zoomed past me on the trail and admired my blinkie light.

6 comments:

  1. What a great post!!! People that know me understand that I have read Dave Ramsey's books and listened to his radio show. Dave is a personal finance guru who had the audacity to tell people to avoid debt like the plague even before the current financial mess.

    In his ideas for getting out of debt he notes that you will start to be on the right track when other people are making fun of you. He often asks why anyone would want to be normal in America when normal is fat, broke and stupid.

    I agree. I've ran away from normal as fast as I could in many respects of my life and I do not regret it at all.

    Normal sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fast come to that same conclusion. I always thought American finance was bogus (almost every part of U.S. life is 'leveraged'). To that end I have bucked debt like the plague since my undergrad days and paid my own way through grad school. I am the only person I know who paid for grad school as they went and emerged with no student loan debt (and no Mommy and Daddy to pay it for them). When I tell people I got through grad school without student loans or any other financial help other than my tuition waiver and hard work, they never believe me.

    Unfortunately, while most academics consider themselves 'nonconformists', they conform terribly when it comes to lack of fitness, diet, transportation, and debt. While they are not necessarily "stupid", they are just as overweight, out-of-shape, and broke as anyone else in America. This is pitiful when you think that we should be the ones heralding true "freedom" (freedom from debt, obesity, lifestyle patterns that rob us of health, etc), but we conform just as much as the next person.

    I am beginning to believe that the bike is the hinge to true freedom. Think about it. When you start biking, you break loose from big oil, start getting in better shape, realize some things as your body starts to work again, start eating better because it is too hard to ride after eating crap, start having more "real" money because you don't spend it all on your car and hauling your out of shape butt around, start getting involved in building infrastructure that offers freedom for others----it really does act as a hinge for building a positive network. Bike magic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops...didn't mean to do that, now i have to type it in again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Normal sucks."

    I like to think that I'm above normal. I have an exceptional resting heart weight, am in exceptional cardio condition, am at the perfect weight for my size, and feel years younger than my nearly 50 years.

    I remember when I started exercising 10+ years ago that it felt foreign to me at the time. Over time, however, that foreign feeling turned into a need for exercise, then a love for cycling. Now, it's to the point where the love fuels the exercise and it's not a burden to go out and do it, whether it's riding my bike, running, or working out in the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tracy, I love your weblog! I am going to keep cycling so I am in as good a shape as you when I'm near 50. :-)

    ReplyDelete