Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 2: No Car Challenge



My sister called last night and when I told her about the September No Car challenge she became completely silent (as the younger sister I recognized this as her "speechless" mode) and then she uttered rather sarcastically: "Good Luck" and we both broke out laughing. (Only an older sister knows how to unleash true sarcasm at its finest.) We then began our usual debate style: I began with how I had been practicing for this month all summer, bought the Burley bike trailer, etc but she then started in with "the rain" (already biked in the rain and lived to tell the tale last week) and then with what about "biking in the dark" (already did that last Thursday night--it was wonderful) and then I started in on the cost of owning a vehicle and how many people are not only "house poor" but CAR poor! Most folks don't know the true cost of car ownership but I won't go off on a rant about that today.

Besides, the truth is: I love it because it's just so much darn fun!

Today I biked downtown to get my sweet No Car challenge 'benefits' card (!), then to MU, then downtown, then home. 7 miles total. Not much but I got everything I needed to get done by bike. Nuff said. :-D

6 comments:

  1. Yeah for you! Howz the hand? I'll bet you can't wait for the new Hy-Vee to open near Grindstone...!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara! The hand is fine. It just looks sunburned and peels a little. I hope it continues to fade.....I wear two coats of zinc oxide everyday but no glove! :-) I AM looking forward to Hy-Vee opening up! They have an awesome health food section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only 7 miles! HA!! 90% of Columbia would be in intensive care if they tried to bicycle 7 miles!

    Great Job!!

    -RJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks RJ! But when I can go as long and far as Alvin, then I'll know I have 'arrived' I think that guy is superhuman! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what I did at lunch today and it felt like I hardly biked at all. Got my errands done, ate lunch and got my hair cut. Feel so much better after being out in the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you! I feel way more refreshed and ready to work after doing errands by bike...the time seems to fly by.

    ReplyDelete