Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Time and the Art of Cycling



I have always felt that I am at the mercy of Time. And I don't like it. I am someone who tends to over schedule my life in almost every way. I have a very hard time knowing when enough-is-enough. This started as a child. My mother says it was always a battle to get me to come inside and call it quits for the day. She often found me sleepwalking at night or standing at the foot of my bed, my hands furiously moving in the air--busy attending to some play task in my sleep.

I also had a hard time knowing when I needed sleep or rest. Mom has pictures of me at 5 years old asleep in my food or at my dad's desk. Playing until exhaustion set in. As an adult I have extended these habits to almost every sphere of my life. I try to pack more in a day than could really be accomplished in a week.

Cycling has begun changing this. In cycling, I have to leave early for my destination in case I get a flat or simply need more time to get somewhere. I can only go as fast as my body can take me. I must rest at night or I won't be able to cycle well the next day. I have to eat in ways that support using my own body as an engine. I don't feel as distanced from the needs of my own body; its limits and strengths. In a strange way, it is the limits of cycling that seem to be providing freedom for me from the tyranny of time.


Miles: 6

1 comment:

  1. Flat tire are not good. I got some good tire last 7,000 pluse miles one flat. It pays buy good one long run. I am save up for new ones to have on hand ready when I needs them.
    It was fun Thur. on bikes but rain was but fun see all people walking to see Mu. Game and hange in rain not as bad poeple think in rain.
    Keeping dry hards thing to do when it rains.
    see later

    ReplyDelete