Monday, October 12, 2009

Facing the cold



Biking to church this weekend went okay. I dressed in a short sleeve shirt, sweater, and slacks, gloves, and a scarf. My trunk, hands, feet, and neck stayed warm but my arms and the front of my legs were cold. I am not sure what jacket to wear because the center of my body and hands are fine (a tiny bit sweaty even) but not my arms and thighs. I cleaned out my closet when I got home and found my hats (ones that can fit under my helmet I think) because I can see how my head could get cold as the temp drops over the next few months. Maybe some arm warmers might work...?

Of note: there was a tandem bike at church today and after the service I met the couple that rode in on it. They were in their late 50s early 60s--fit and really nice people. We talked for a bit and I said it was nice to see two other cyclists!

Mile: Sunday 10
Monday 10

P.S. My rain gear arrived and I taking it with me today just-in-case!

3 comments:

  1. Rachel,

    Let me tell you a secret that most bicyclists will deny. They deny it because when its 4 below they are behind a windshield and I'm still riding.

    There is absolutely no way that you can stay warm while riding in the winter time without getting sweaty. Even if you somehow calibrated your clothing choice perfectly so that you were warm most of the way through your ride without sweating you would be cold when you start off.

    I prefer to be warm when I start and a little hot when I finish.

    My two cents!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, you will get a bit sweaty. No matter what the temperature I always sweat around my helmet and hat. I have found that wind block is super essential for me. A couple of thin layers with the outer one blocking wind is more comfortable for me than big and bulky. I know others like the bulk, I don't. I can't say enough good about the new wind-blocking soft shells. They are comfortable, thin and warm. I plan to buy some soft shell pants very soon but last year I got by with cold weather tights under regular fleece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input guys. I think a soft shell will do it. I biked home tonight and was very comfortable. I started out a little cold and warmed right up. After I biked to school today I was in a meeting and one of the attendees came up to me to shake my hand and was like "Man your hands are warm!" I laughed and attributed it to the cycling (my blood gets pumping and my circulation is good). I don't mind being a little sweaty, I just don't want to freeze my buns off (so far so good on that front)!

    ReplyDelete