Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bike helmet kerfuffle



I am pro-helmet at this point but thought this video from Bike Snob NYC's site interesting. Being new to bike commuting, I am curious as to whether or not U.S.-based cyclists prefer to wear helmets or find them dangerous. In this video, specific reasons for what constituted 'dangerous' were not given but I find the argument interesting.

Miles: 6.0
P.S. Riding in the cool, rainy weather is nice. I especially like all my friends who say, "It's too cold to be riding your bike!" HA!

3 comments:

  1. One of the arguments is that when you are sliding across the road that the helmet might get caught on something, stop your head suddenly, while the rest of you keeps sliding causing a neck injury.

    To me, that argument sounds a lot like the "anti-seatbelt" argument about not being able to get out of a burning car.

    That said, I do think that helmet wearing is about the last bit of advice a new rider needs and I certainly do not think that it should be the law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you see some one crash and see Helmet has big crack in wow that could been my head.
    My co-worker riding more. When it looks like going rain he rid these days. He sure looks out side so leave ride home before rain funny. I give some time he be buying better bike. It big rain breaks you in and you buy stuff to keep dry on on.
    Ride safe and stay dry big thing and warm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Alvin. I still feel safer with a helmet at this point and won't go without one!

    ReplyDelete