Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Recipe Wednesday



I have not had a lot of time to cook over the past month but one thing I *do* have time for is crock pot hot cereal in the winter. I have eaten oatmeal in the winter most of my life (thanks Dad!) and recently discovered oat groats which are the whole oat grains before being rolled into flakes ala Quaker Oatmeal. You can buy oat groats at Clover's or Hy-Vee in bulk. However, groats take longer to cook and I don't have time right now to stand over the stove stirring---thus, crock pot oats. This breakfast is quick, easy, inexpensive, and insanely good for you!

Crock Pot Oat Groats

1 1/2 cup oat groats
4 cups water
pinch salt
1 stick of cinnamon

Place the oat groats on the bottom of the crock pot nearest heat source. Add the salt to the water and gently pour over the oats. Toss in a stick of cinnamon and set cooker to low. I started mine at 10 PM last night and ate at 7:00 AM this morning. I added maple syrup and some small pieces of toasted walnuts and it was delicious!

Enjoy!

Miles: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment