Friday, November 27, 2009

Buy Nothing Day


I have a confession to make: I have never, in my entire life, gone shopping the day after Thanksgiving. As a child I lived in a very small town where stores were locally owned and operated and closed at Thanksgiving for two days. As an adult, I simply could not fathom getting up at 4:00 AM for the sake of a new TV. Some people call the holiday season a "shopocalypse" and I'd have to agree.

Fast forward to 2005 when I stumbled upon the Adbusters campaign for Buy Nothing Day. I find BND funny, irreverent, and smart. I can't imagine pulling myself away from a warm fire, time with my family and friends, and well-deserved rest in order to stand in line in the cold for things I don't need. Moreover, most people will put this stuff on credit cards they can't afford to pay in full later--so all those "deals" will cost them at least 9% or more over time. Given our personal and national debt it doesn't seem like much of a deal to me.

Happy ThanksGIVING!

Miles: 2

4 comments:

  1. I typically do not go out and the one time I did I was disgusted with the behavior I saw and said I would never do it again. That said...I let my 12 year old convince me to take her shopping. I only agreed because she wasn't shopping for herself, she was shopping for a needy family that her Character Council group adopted. She was determined to find mp3 players for the three children that her group could afford. She looked on line and at all the ads and found the best deal at Menards. We arrived at 6 am and didn't have to wait in line, just filed in got our goods and left. I had fun with her but didn't enjoy the shopping and the people. I hate big crowds, especially greedy ones. We paid cash but I suspect you are correct in that many people were spending what they don't have. Glad you avoided the whole scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully we don't have a 'day' like this in Germany- I have a hard enough time just going to a town on a normal shopping day -about 30 minutes is enough before I start getting all anarchistic and wondering how to make my own clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say but I came home after long weekend wYes Wife has new TV crazy but she been eyeing Tv for some yrs know lower very yr . It was low as its going be so We got new TV.
    What you buy big thing and $ on it.
    see later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *did* find out that 71% of the people who bought stuff on Black Friday used cash or debit cards. Sounds like a bit of an improvement!

    Andy, I have seriously considered finding a good tailor and slowly building up a wardrobe of useful, sturdy, and well-fitting clothes without all the fashion coercion and shopping!

    ReplyDelete