Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cultural change, one revolution at a time


I think part of the problem with cycling for most folks, is that they don't have many role models in their day to day life. They are surrounded by people each and every day who rely solely upon cars to do every little thing. To the point that people drive to the gym and think nothing of it. But as RJ asked me yesterday: How do we get people to see the benefits and actually give it a go? It seems to me after living here for a year that most people see cycling as a "recreational" event but not a wonderful possibility as a lifestyle.

I think what is necessary is a grass roots effort by people in the workforce of all fitness levels, ages, shapes, and sizes. For instance, one of the things that convinced me that I could bike commute was how one of my instructors appeared at the Confident City Cycling (CCC) course I went to last May. He was just wearing jeans and a normal shirt. I realized then, by seeing how he got around (sans spandex or truly heinously expensive gear), as well as at other cycling blogs, that people did not need lots of fancy gear--tons of people commute and get around in absolutely normal clothes. And they do it in all kinds of weather. :-D

But I have had to overcome some worries along the way that on one hand seem shallow, but on the other, are a reality for many of us that work in offices where appearance is important. Figuring out how to carry all my stuff, getting places at night, and looking good (clothes, hair, makeup) were hurdles that took time but ones I had to get over to meet my goal. What kept me going were people around me with answers and ideas to my problems (you know who you are and I thank you!), as well as meeting other bike commuters on campus. I, in turn, have been happy to share my adventures with colleagues and friends by showing them that this is a lifestyle that is doable and so worth it. I tell them about taking classes, how to do it, how easy it is, and the tremendous cost savings (gym membership, parking, gas, time). For instance I went into a local grocery store last week and very politely spoke to the manager on duty about the need for a new bike rack. I gave him some names at PedNet and told him what a convenience it was to be able to park my bike safely when I needed groceries. I am going to continue to follow this up until it changes. Since the bike rack has gone from 1 or 2 bikes to 4 and 5 now, I think they can see the need.

I think things can change and truly, they must change. Think about how much more secure families will feel if they don't have a car loan to support--this makes living far less expensive and if you *do* lose your job, you don't have a car payment but can still get where you need to go. I always think about how much safer streets are for the children when bikes are a main part of the transportation mix, not to mention the air quality. I could on, but I am realizing that people need to see it lived out to "get" it. Many people "know" some of these things but they don't see enough role models around them to help them make it a reality for themselves.

Just a thought.

2 comments:

  1. You said it. You make car last longer and You do with out car.
    It all starts mom and dad they pass on to their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO right! Most parents don't realize that their children are only mimicking their parents sedentary lifestyle and poor eating habits.

    ReplyDelete