Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reality vs. Unreality: A three day tale



For the past three days I have driven into work due to a sore back. Several things have occurred that make me realize how much the myth that "cars make life easier" is exactly that: a Myth. First, my back did not become better from not riding my bike. If anything, my muscles feel tighter and I just overall feel less relaxed. Second, I had to drive to Marshall with a group of people and 'harrowing' is the only adjective that comes to mind to describe barreling down the road at 70 miles per hour in the pouring rain next to 18-wheelers. That ANYONE could believe cars are safer than bikes is the biggest myth of all. Third, although it has been cold and I was in my car, I have NEVER been warm the entire week. It totally sucks raw eggs. I was NEVER cold on my bike. Fourth, when I need to get to the library to return books on campus I have to haul them down there with a stupid trolley or bags. There is simply no easy parking near Ellis and so clearly the bike is the most convenient and efficient way to get and return materials from the library.

Finally, today I had lunch with a colleague who complimented me on the scarf I was wearing (it is quite beautiful). When I told her that I bought it at The Mustard Seed downtown, she had no idea where that was and she has lived here for six years! When I asked her why she did not know about that shop she said, "Parking is so impossible I never park downtown!"

Truthfully, I could not blame her. I realized then how much I know now about The District because of my bicycle. When those crazies on the Trib site start ranting about bikes, they need to think about how much money we spend to support downtown businesses simply because on a bike it is so much more convenient to get around. Something to think about.

BIKES RULE! :-)

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog.

    You are absolutely correct. the trick is how do we convince people who have only drove that you are right? Most people would immediately dismiss any of the points that you have made. They would find them ridiculous.

    The trick is really getting people to just TRY bicycling but that is one of the hardest things in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks RJ! I have decided that my next career is going to be working for the League of American Bicyclists! Did you get the last issue of Bicycling from them? It has this great bike workshop that the folks in Reno do to help people learn to take care of their own bikes, especially those without the room and equipment to do so. It gave me an idea. We should start a night of bike repair for women here in Columbia. We could call it: Wenches with Wrenches or something snazzy like that. I think that it would help women in town see how easy this is. I have been thinking about starting a blog devoted (mainly but not only) to the benefits of cycling for women including commuting how to's, commuting with kids, fashion, etc. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should take me up on my offer to make you part of the team. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. When is the next training? (I'm not joking).

    ReplyDelete