Monday, November 30, 2009

The Bicycle: The Gift that Keeps on Giving


One of the things I love about cycling is how fun and yet practical it is. I never really thought about how safe it can be for young girls and women in countries where physical safety is a daily concern. Just getting to school, to a well for water, or to stores and shops for food can be rife with danger. Fortunately, bicycles continue to be a trusty source of speed and safety as well as being low in environmental impact. This year, as my Christmas gift to myself, I decided to donate a bicycle to a girl through World Vision so that she can get to school quickly and safely. After talking to the folks at World Vision and studying them online, I found that they not only help provide bikes and encourage entrepreneurship, but they also continue to provide help to other organizations with similar ideas.

I like knowing that something as simple as a bicycle will provide safety, pleasure and help many times over. This puts me in the Christmas spirit! :-)

Miles: 6

2 comments:

  1. That is the most awesome gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been jazzed about this ever since I decided to do it. It really merges my passion for education (especially of female children), bicycles, thrift, and environmental impact.

    ReplyDelete