Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ode to my Heroes: Broads on Bikes


Josie Dew and daughter Molly

One of the reasons I became fascinated with bike riding and travel was due to a book I read in 2001, The Wind in My Wheels by Josie Dew. Josie started cycling when she was a girl and has ended up cycling around the world including the UK, US, parts of Canada and the Middle East, as well as New Zealand and Japan. I have read almost everything she has written and was chuffed to see that getting married and having a child have not slowed her down (although I wouldn't blame her if it had). She even got me to reading about another cyclist, the intrepid Dervla Murphy who at 78 is still biking strong. Murphy's travel-by-bike tale Full Tilt is one of the best books I have ever read. Murphy has traveled all over the world solely by bike including the Middle East in the mid-1960s. I hope that's me one day!

Miles: 6.50

Stuff I heard: "Young lady, you are brave to ride in this cold!"

1 comment:

  1. I think it cool. I think cool when I ride to see mom camp out for week. It funny people really come to ask about where are you from and nice people drope of cold water when its hot.
    I like see how people set there bikes up when touring . I like crazyman page for touring that kills some reading about all bike touring.
    stay warm and think all warm riding soon
    I getting ready ride Walt's see I can save $ on stuff I see.
    ride safe;-) and be seen

    ReplyDelete