Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Bikey Christmas


While I look forward to, and enjoy, Christmas every year, I am dismayed at the consumerism and sedentary nature of this holiday. I have spent more time in a car over the past four days than in the last six weeks combined! My folks live out in the country and while I love it and it is beautiful, it does not encourage an active transportation lifestyle. We go everywhere by car.

Yesterday we went shopping with my nieces and I was flabbergasted at the layout of so many of the shopping plazas we visited. They were downright unsafe for pedestrians. The message here is: "Don't try to get anywhere without a car". I saw people literally moving their cars a couple hundred yards to get closer to the next set of stores rather than walk because you felt like you were taking your life in your own hands walking anywhere since there were almost no sidewalks and cars were rushing to and fro. To end our day, we were rear ended coming home (while sitting in traffic). No one was hurt but I couldn't help but think how much I just detest cars. Whose idea was this anyway?

On a bright note, my four year niece has learned to ride her tricycle and we have had loads of fun with that. Good times.

Miles walked: 3

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. You seem to be slipping into a total state of weirdness. Same thing happened to me about 5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doing better than me .I have to drive these days Surly in shop work on and add stuff on it.
    I like bike lights cool one;-).
    Wow alot cars in parking lots .
    I going be ready I get surly one week with out surly and I got buy gas go places $ going oil people sad thing.
    Have happy one;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DO feel like I have entered a weird twilight zone where only I can see how bizarre modern US life is. What is worse is that my folks have health issues that could be easily handled if they exercised each and every day in a low impact manner such as by biking. It is too weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alvin! I hope you have had a good one. I can't get over how much money I have spent. I KNOW this is linked directly to car use. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its comes down you love it and you can do it and its fun and you get heathy and you got have right tools make fun and you can save $ make sure spen all $ on tool's to ride.
    I love it and wife says I am crazy about my bike.
    Have good one and stay warm.
    You know RJ is staying warm;-) these days

    ReplyDelete