Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Induction into the car-centric life



This holiday has been really nice. I have had a wonderful time visiting family and getting caught up with two of my favorite people in the world: my nieces Zoe (6) and Annabelle (4). We have had quite the celebration here!

However,I have a confession to make: I struggle with the completely car-centric attitude that my nieces are being inducted into. For Christmas some relatives bought the girls a little battery-powered car to drive around in the yard. Needless to say, the tricycle Annabelle was enjoying a few days ago is no longer interesting in comparison to the car.

It is shocking to me to see that the car culture is sucking them in earlier and earlier with the help of well meaning people like my relatives. What gets me is that for the money that was spent on that little car that sucked up petroleum to produce the car and will use energy to keep it running, the girls could have had TWO really nice bicycles. They will outgrow that car in a year or two--if it lasts that long--and what then, a golf cart? Is it any wonder that by the time they are teenagers they'll feel entitled to a car? Hopefully, the newness of that car will wear off but the sense of adventure and freedom that comes with a bike will never end. I just hope that the girls are given that choice as well.

4 comments:

  1. I agree on the little people cars, haven't quite understood the attraction to those. Happy to say neither of kids had one but we did (do) believe in buying them nice bicycles. You will be a good influence on the girls, hopefully they will model you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying that because sometimes I feel really negative about the sheer stupidity (as I see it) of brainwashing kids without even thinking about if what we are doing is good for them in the long run. For instance, I am convinced that those cars are more for the adults enjoyment ("look what I can afford for m my kid" or "gee whiz, they look so cute in that little car!") than the kids (who seem to tire of things so quickly). I can't help but think that between the car and the fast food, my two sweet nieces won't be thin and healthy long. (Sorry to be so negative about it). I HOPE I am a good influence in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you hit the nail on the head with the "money" thing. This is going to sound super negative but I think the less money people have the more they spend on that junk. I know our kids have been envious of some of that a few times but we just won't have it. Grown ups are the same with their own cars as well, that's why many families have two car payments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that sucks. My nephew got a big jeep powerwheels thing for Christmas a couple of years ago. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen that thing since. He also has bikes, though.

    ReplyDelete