Monday, August 3, 2009

Modern Bicycle Myths

After speaking with the 'helpful' driver yesterday, I ran across the Bicycling Life website which offers some great cycling advocacy tips such as this little gem:


- Myth: Bicycles Must "Keep Their Place" To The Right.

Both traffic law and traffic experts recognize that there are numerous situations when bicycles should not try to squeeze over. That is why vehicle law lists many conditions when bicycles should merge into the traffic lane and take the full lane: where roads become narrow or in narrow traffic lanes; to ride clear of glass, debris, potholes, rough paving, moving, turning, or parked cars; to operate correctly as a vehicle in the proper lane at intersections, and when passing or turning left.

Re-reading some cycling myths reminded me of the interesting way that some cyclists handle intersections. I was riding west on Green Meadows Road and came to the 4-way stop at Forum. I had to learn the hard way that if I was in the bike lane and did not take the lane at the intersection, cars just kept pulling out, never giving me the chance to turn. In addition, the car on my direct left (right next to me if I am in the bike lane) could not see me and just pulled on out.

So yesterday when I pulled up, I took the lane in order to be treated like a vehicle and get a safe chance to turn right. However, there was another cyclist in the lane behind me and he remained in the bike lane. So there we are, me waiting my turn behind two cars and the cyclist sitting in the bike lane trying to get a chance to turn. No one let him turn. When I pulled up and signaled he still sat there so when my turn came, I turned right and went on. I did not see him again.

I am learning that it is very important to practice what I learned in my Confident City Cycling course. To be aware when bike commuting because it is different cycling in traffic rather than trail riding or recreational riding away from cars. However, I can see that motorists *do* appreciate steady, calm, and clear riding. When I signal clearly, am visible on the road, and obey road signs just as cars must, I hopefully am helping to create a safer, saner means of travel. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment