Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Columbia Tribune

A few nights ago I ambled over to the Tribune's website to get caught up on biking news and was astounded by the attitudes and sometimes outright disdain exhibited towards cyclists on that site. What a privileged world we live in when we assume that everyone is *supposed* to own a car-- or can even afford to! Having lived in countries outside the U.S. where most everyone does NOT own a car, I still feel surprised and frustrated by the incredible lack of knowledge about these issues by those that want complete control over our roadways.

One argument that was both alarming and hilarious was from people who believe cyclists should pay bike insurance, road taxes, etc. just like in a car. I have already spent most of my adult life paying for transportation and road taxes, I currently pay both car and health insurance every month (which may come in real handy if a cager writing into the Trib tries to knock me off my bike), and I have no need of bike insurance because the cost of replacement is not $15,000 or more as it would be for a car! This is greed in the extreme in my mind and these people should be ashamed. What's next, a tax for walking? Walking insurance? Breathing insurance and taxes?

The more I bike commute, the more I realize just how many people commute every day---one person in one car. Some of the 'roads' in town are more like highways with broad lanes and high speeds. Thankfully, common sense and a sense of community has prevailed in maintaining the Katy Trail and MKT, as well as sidewalks and some intersection improvements that can keep you from getting creamed when you need to make a quick trip to the grocery store. I am sure there are more decent and common-sensical people than those that write into the Trib and I pass many of them on my bike every day. Columbia is a good place...

No comments:

Post a Comment