Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bikey adventures

I got up today (actually slept in until 8:30 AM--SLACKER :-) and got everything ready to bike to church and left around 9:45 AM. As I am biking along Forum a woman pulls up next to me at the stop light at Chapel Hill and begins lecturing me. She starts out with "I am a cyclist too but you need to get as faaaaar right as possible!" I mildly interrupt to tell her I need to be 3 feet from the curb for safe passing by cars and try to add that there was debris in the road which explains why I am not as snug up to the curb as she might feel I should be, but she cuts me off with "I'm a cyclist too" (I guess meaning she can correct me but not the other way around). Right about then the light changed to green and she roared off in her car. It was frustrating to have someone attempting to 'help" (I am sure she meant well) but not have all the facts. Undeterred I continued on.

A few miles later, further up Forum, a white car goes past me with three young men in it who call me a bad name out the window as they go by. I didn't care too much cause they were three of the fattest young guys I have seen. I find fat cagers who hate cyclists funny--while I did not like being called a bad word (especially on Sunday) I still felt sorry for them. Cars seem to bring out the worst in some people.

On a high note: Today is an BEAUTIFUL day to be on a bike and even with the mild annoyances---cycling ROCKS! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment