Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cars & Debt



Today I had a meeting with one of my international TAs at school and the conversation rolled around to staying solvent in graduate school. Coming from a country outside the U.S., she asked me if it was possible to make a living working at stores like Old Navy or Target. I told her that if you owned a car, absolutely not!

Of course I ended up yanking out Chris Balish's How to Live Well Without Owning a Car. She and her husband (and one child) live close-to-the-bone as graduate students and both work multiple jobs to stay solvent. When I told her that the average family pays over $8,000.00 per year to own a car she did not believe me. We opened up Balish's book and started tallying. She stopped counting when she hit $8,000.00 for only one of their two cars.

It was an interesting conversation and make me think about how much Car Culture has influenced people that are often struggling to make ends meet in the U.S. yet feel forced to buy into what counts for "normalcy". These two just looked at what everyone else was doing and bought into the old "but I need a car to get to my job and be a responsible adult" without thinking about the fact that in this country, your employer can require you to have a driver's license but never pay you enough to own the car they are implying you *must* have to work for them.

I am not trying to glorify or romanticize being car free or car lite, but I couldn't help but see the strain this young couple are under financially for what amounts to two depreciating assets. This just does not make sense to me.

Food for thought.

4 comments:

  1. It's such a logical place to save money for so many families and it's great you can be a good role model for students. Of all people, they can probably get by without a bike the easiest. I need to make commuting a part of my routine again, I've really been a slacker this weekend. I will admit that my incident in the fall certainly took some fun out of it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how much of an example I have set this semester. Between being sick and injured twice my cycling is way down. I am sooooo ready to commute again. I worry at times about the graduate assistants I work with because they don't earn much, are worked like dogs, and yet often "buy into" U.S. car culture when they are the ones who can least afford it. It is a rotten system in a lot of ways. We should meet and ride sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, It's Gina Overshiner. If these students, or any others you know, need help/information about cycling with babies/toddlers/kids in COMO, I would be more than glad to help them. I have been riding with kids, since I had them. Have been through just about every imaginable combination of kid-carrying on a bike. I would be more than happy to help out. They can contact me at gobikegirl@gmail.com

    Best, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://bikesnotcars.blogspot.com/2010/04/power-of-choice-and-commitment.html
    I sold my car and gave myself a $6000 raise!

    ReplyDelete